Saturday, September 3, 2022

Merchant Navy Day

 Today 3rd September is Merchant Navy Day.

Image Courtesy of the RMT


Its easy to forget that as an island nation even now we rely heavily on our merchant navy. Many of the goods we use on a daily basis arrive on our shores thanks to one of the many companies that make up the merchant navy, from food to fuel, toys to the cars we drive.

For me I have a personal connection with the Merchant Navy through my Father who served with BP.

He became a Master Mariner and as a child, I have many happy memories of my time spent on board the HQS Wellington, Headquarters of the Honorable Company of Master Mariners, and of their wonderful library. I look forward to visiting again as part of my research.



For more information on Merchant Navy Day, visit the Seafarers Charity website.


No comments:

Post a Comment